Thursday, May 5, 2011

Karen Hsu's reflection


The Schindler House is a great architecture piece in Modern era inspired by European and Japanese style as it is a pleasure to have tours there and to feel and touch the piece of art. The geometry of the house itself inspires me a lot on how to deal with shapes and to relate that to fashion design on clothing. The material he uses to built Schindler house is very appreciated as using the simple ingredient of the material itself shows the quality of Modern architecture.
I personally love act piece that is in Modern culture, the simplicity, minimalism, geometry, and the whole fresh atmosphere that the object shows to the viewer.  I appreciate the style, the movement, and the distinct expressions from the artists’ personality through their work.
For the group project, we start off researching the history, movement, and the style of Schindler house as we find many interesting design ideas to start with. We have four concepts: horizontal, vertical, functional, and texture. These four characteristics are essential in modern period designs no matter it is architecture, product, painting, and etc. We focus on using these four concepts to develop on spring and summer dresses to show the strong sense of geometry and the simplicity side of the Schindler house and its period. S
I focus on two of the concepts: functional and vertical. I personally like the vertical sense of design in Schindler house. The vertical glass on concrete wall, the strips of wood interlocking with others, and the texture of the material itself that gives me the sense of vertical. Everything in Schindler house looks really finished and clean, like it is a piece of art not a place to live. But It is acturally a sweet place for couples to live in as I want to capture the feeling of functional to my dress; looking abstract but still wearable and functional. It is fun to use those ideas into designing my dresses and to put them together with a perfect view in Schindler House (the concrete wall with glass windows).
Starting step by step from research, script, map, fabric swatching, illustration, and the completion of the package, we really get the sense of how research helps us to design and to make our work stronger with historical backups. A piece of art with strong and enormous amount of researching and history makes the work reasonable, easier to understand, stronger, and easier to catch people’s attention. This method has help me through my other portfolio group that I am working on right now, to make them better and to research more before I start designing.
It is a pleasure to take this class as I learn so much about constructing ideas and concepts and to put it together to make my own designs!

No comments:

Post a Comment